Friday, May 7, 2010

Self-Evaluation

Me: Mom, there is a new class being offered at Lehigh and I'm not sure if I should take it or not.
Mom: What's it about?
Me: Well the title of the class is Multimedia Reporting, it seems like it is going to cover a lot of information. Here I will send you the link the professor posted on Youtube, I think it will give you a better understanding of the course.
Mom: Ok, I'll call you back after I take a look at it and let you know what I think.

........................................ 2 minutes later....................................

Mom: Alyssa, are you serious?
Me: What are you talking about?
Mom: Of course you should take this course! Why would you even question it? If you don't fill out an application I will be very upset with you. This class has something different to offer and I think you will get a lot out of it.
Me: I guess your'e right. I just wasn't sure since it is a new class but I guess I will never know unless I give it a try.

.... Thank god I decided to call my mother that day.

On the first day of class I wasn't sure what to expect. I actually don't think I had any expectations at all. And maybe that was for the best. Because whatever I could have expected to gain from this course could never compare to the copious amounts of skills that I have learned.

The thought of me editing film and audio with little to no supervision before this class...... no way.
The thought of me starting, designing, and maintaining my own blog before this class..... no way.
The thought of me producing and publishing a website before this class..... no way.
The thought of me being technologically and social media savvy before this class.... no way.

I didn't necessarily have any concrete goals before starting this class, but I can tell you one thing now. I know feel that I can reach my goals much easier because I know have concrete skills that I can offer to a potential employer. I know have something to show them when they ask for a sample of my work. But most importantly, I can now honestly look a potential employer in the eye and tell them that I am indeed fit for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment